Following reports claiming that President Donald Trump is looking to remove Defense Secretary Mark Esper after the election, the White House didnt directly refute the allegations but said that it has no new announcements on personnel.
The reports alleged that Trump wasnt pleased with Espers response after the president sought to deploy military troops to quell mass unrest, violence, and riots earlier this summer.
“President Trump has assembled an incredible team at the White House and across the federal government who have accomplished undeniable successes on behalf of the American people. We have no personnel announcements at this time nor would it be appropriate to speculate about changes after the election or in a second term,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement on Wednesday.
A source close to Esper told The Epoch Times that he is “committed to serving as long as the Commander in Chief wants him to.”
Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman echoed the sources claim, saying its Espers “highest honor and privilege to serve the nation in defense of our great country” and he recognizes “that he serves the nation and leads the men and women of this department as secretary of defense at the pleasure of the president.”
The speculation about Espers job was triggered by a Bloomberg News report this week, which said that Trump wants to replace him for his reluctance to deploy U.S. military troops to quell violent unrest and riots in the wake of George Floyds death. The report cited anonymous sources and people close to the Pentagon chief.
In a June 3 briefing, Esper told reporters that on the day that Trump visited a Washington church that was vandalized following Black Lives Matter protests, he wasnt aware that the president would pose for a photo while holding a Bible.