LONDON: Iconic British travel firm Thomas Cook has failed to find further private investment to stave off collapse and is now relying on an unlikely government bailout, a source close the matter told AFP on Saturday (Sep 21).
The operator said on Friday that it needed £200 million (US$250 million) – in addition to the £900 million rescue deal secured last month – or else face administration.
That scenario could potentially trigger Britain's largest repatriation since World War II, with more than 150,000 of the company's British customers overseas on holiday.
A source close to the negotiations told AFP that the company had failed to find the £200 million from private investors and would collapse unless the government intervened.
But ministers are unlikely to step in due to worries about the pioneering operator's longer-term viability, the Times reported on Saturday, leaving it on the brink of collapse and stranding its British holiday makers abroad.
"We will know by tomorrow if agreement is reached," the source told AFP.
Two years ago, the collapse of Monarch Airlines prompted the British government to take emergency action to return 110,000 stranded passengers, costing taxpayers some £60 million on hiring planes.
The government at the time described it as Britain's "biggest-ever peacetime repatriation".
Thousands of workers could also lose their jobs, with the 178-year-old company employing about 22,000 staff worldwide, including 9,000 in Britain.
Chinese peer Fosun, which was already the biggest shareholder in Thomas Cook, agreed last month to inject £450 million into the business.
In return, the Hong Kong-listed cong