Chocolate poisoning risk to dogs at Christmas

Chocolate poisoning is a risk to the family dog at Christmas, say vets.

They warn that dogs are four times more likely to fall ill from eating chocolate at this time of year.

A study found hundreds of cases of dogs needing veterinary treatment after stealing chocolate Santas, selection boxes, chocolate oranges and even a mug of hot chocolate.

Vets are trying to get the message across that the confectionery should be kept out of reach of the family pet.

While dogs like the taste of chocolate, it can make them ill, even in small quantities.

''The take home message is firstly to make sure that people recognise that chocolate is a potential problem and to be vigilant with their chocolate gifts over the holiday period,'' said Dr Philip Jones, lecturer in veterinary epidemiology and public health at the University of Liverpool.

''If their dog does get access… to make sure that they contact their veterinary surgeon.

''And also before they contact their veterinary surgeon to have an estimate of how much chocolate and what type of chocolate the dog has eaten.''


The chemical theobromine, found in cocoa beans, is broken down more slowly in dogs. This can lead to sickness, increased heart rate, agitation, seizure, and, occasionally, death.

Electronic health records from 200 veterinary practices – about 10% of the total number in the UK – were analysed for the study, between 2012 and 2017.

The research found chocolate intoxication was four times more likely at Christmas than on a normal day. The risk was half that at Easter, but there was no difference on Valentine's Day and Halloween.

Vomiting was the most common symptom of chocolate poisoning, followed by agitation and increased heart rare.

Younger dogs were more likely to snaffle chocolate and fall ill. In most cases, only small amounts were consumed. However, there were exceptions, such as when a dog ate a large number of Easter eggs hidden in a garden for a children's party.

Treatment for poisoning depends on the amount of time that has passed since the dog ate.

The dog may be given medicine to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to stop further absorption of the toxic substance.

The dog may then need fluid therapy and further medication to combat toxic effects on the heart.

The study is published in the journal, Veterinary Record.

Follow Helen on Twitter.

Original Article


The post Chocolate poisoning risk to dogs at Christmas appeared first on News Wire Now.

Related Articles


  1. Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
    very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance.

    I must say you’ve done a amazing job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Internet explorer.

    Exceptional Blog!

  2. I think what you composed made a ton of sense. However, think on this,
    suppose you typed a catchier title? I ain’t saying your
    information is not solid, however what if you added a title that grabbed a person’s attention?
    I mean Chocolate poisoning risk to dogs at Christmas – Current Affairs Online is kinda
    boring. You could glance at Yahoo’s front page and note
    how they create article headlines to get viewers to open the
    links. You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab people interested about everything’ve
    written. Just my opinion, it might bring your website a little bit more interesting.

  3. Thanks for the good writeup. It in truth used to be a entertainment
    account it. Glance advanced to far delivered agreeable from
    you! However, how could we communicate?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button